Frequently Asked Questions

For Applicants

I am single and my income is $12,000 per year-do I qualify and what will my rent be?

Yes, you qualify with a yearly income of $12,000.  The income limit for a one person family is $39,550 per year. Your rent is 30% of your monthly adjusted gross income. That is $300 per month rent includes all utilities except telephone, cable TV and internet. If you are 62 years of age or older or if you are disabled according to Social Security guidelines, you are eligible to deduct qualified medical deductions from your gross income, resulting in a lower monthly adjusted gross income and rent.

I am single and my income is $35,000 per year-do I qualify and what will my rent be?

Yes, you qualify with a yearly income of $35,000 per year. Your rent is $580 for a one bedroom apartment; that is the flat rent limit for a one bedroom apartment.   The flat rent amount includes all utilities, except cable, telephone and internet.

How long will it take to process my application?

After submitting a fully completed application, processing depends on how soon the verifications are returned. Generally an application is processed in two to three weeks; however, if verifications are not returned, your application will be delayed.

Can I apply to Park Towers if I am a fulltime student?

Special College Student Eligibility Rules

In order to be eligible for public housing, college students living outside their parents or guardians homes must have established a separate household for at least one year prior to applying to the public housing program. This will be verified by presenting to the Hutchinson Housing & Redevelopment Authority evidence of the establishment of the separate household.

The college student must not be claimed as a dependent by parents or guardians on their IRS returns. This will be verified by examining the student’s IRS return for the previous year. The Hutchinson Housing & Redevelopment Authority will examine the box that asks if someone else claimed them on their tax return.

If the student is receiving an athletic scholarship that includes over $5000 a year for housing costs, the student shall not be eligible for public housing.

Do you run a credit check?

Currently we do not run a credit report, however, we do look at your last five (5) years of rental history and if available, past utility payments.

For Residents

How and when do I submit an additional medical expense for a rent adjustment?

If you are elderly or disabled, as soon as possible after receiving a final medical bill after Medicare and/or insurance has paid, you may submit the bill and proof of payment for an Interim Rent Adjustment

I just started a new job, do I have to report this?

You need to notify the office, however, we do not do rent increases during the year. We do an Interim Recertification if your wages and/or hours decrease.

How do I submit a work order?

For routine maintenance work orders, you may use the work request form on the website or call the office at (320) 587-2168.   If you are having a maintenance emergency, dial the maintenance cell phone (320) 583-6662.

What is considered an emergency?

An emergency exists when the following occurs on or about premises:

  1. Flooding caused by plumbing breakdown
  2. Back up of sewer line
  3. Lack of heat in winter
  4. Damage caused by wind, storm or fire
  5. Burglary / vandalism or other serious disturbance (dial 911 immediately)
  6. Serious electrical failure or short circuit (dial 911 immediately)
  7. Personal injury to a resident or guest (dial 911 immediately)
Translate »